Monday, September 6, 2010

Convicted to love better

This morning as I was sitting in my bed reading "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shane Claiborne, I am convicted that there is a deeper level for me to love better by giving more. One of the quotes on his wall states: The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away. I quickly thought of the precious things that I hold dear to me here in Utila. The material things that I am always aware of. The luxuries I had once afforded but now recognize  them somewhat insignificant.

As I sat there pondering my level of giving with the little I have here, I reflected back on a situation this past week. I was at Rio Coco Beans Cafe helping the workers put Formica down and doing some odds and ends stuff around the shop when a little boy, Alejandro came over and started helping me weed the garden. I had met him a few days earlier when he appeared out of nowhere to help Jeanne and I blow up some flotation devices before we went for a swim. Here he was again and looking to help. We couldn't communicate much since my Spanish is in progress and he only knows a few English words. As the day carried on, I kept thinking that I needed to watch my stuff because maybe he would steal something. One of the workers told me that the boy must see something he wants because he was hanging out there so long. He also mentioned to me that the boy's father was one of the biggest thieves on the island. Of course, my mind then set a guard up against this little boy and after letting fear come in I soon asked him to leave the property. 

I think I failed that love test but I hope I get many more to pass. My level of love and ability to give was challenged in a different way this week and I am grateful that I can see where I need to change. I don't want to be a person who is learning to protect myself more and more but a person who learns how to give of myself more and more, no matter the cost. That is what Jesus did! I may be the only person in Alejandro's life right now that is fighting for his life...I don't want to miss out on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment