Monday, August 30, 2010

Gratefulness is invigorating

Laguna Beach Resort


One of the moment by moment things I grow from here is gratefulness. The potential of humans to endure through hardship, with or without God, is quite phenomenal! Having left my comforts in the US and experiencing new comforts here on an island is indeed a great lesson in gratefulness. I must say that the US has so many comforts that would be luxuries to a person here on the island. Often times our electricity will go out for a few hours or running water ceases for an extended period of time and it is then that you really see what comes of your attitude. And yet many people live without those two luxuries their entire life.
Chain eel feeding
on chicken bones
This morning I woke up with such a joy in my heart that there is work to do and people to love today. My friend Jeanne and I woke up this morning and had so much gratefulness on our hearts because God really does provide over and above our needs. I am discovering that my wants and needs have immediately changed since coming here. The material possessions I once could so easily afford and thought I couldn't live without, now make me laugh. The less I have in material possession, the more I see God at work providing for my real needs.
Getting a ride back from
Laguna Beach Resort
Yesterday, Jeanne and I were invited by our dear friend Edith to join her at Laguna Beach Resort for lunch. We enjoyed a delicious meal and then took the food scraps and walked around the resort grounds feeding the iguana's and eels in the water. It was a beautiful day and beautiful time of being with friends. Then we walked down main street to Mermaids for a ice cream cone followed by a calm swim in the Caribbean with our friend Susie. We ended the evening by joining Edith at the Methodist Church and it was so delightful to be with the people of God. I couldn't understand everything that was spoken but I am sure I will acquire an ear for the creole-English here in no time!
Today I am overseeing more work being done at Rio Coco Beans Cafe and coordinating the next phase. This week Jeanne and I will go to the ferry dock at 5:45 am and start selling cups of coffee to the backpackers leaving the island. I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment