Saturday, August 28, 2010

All in a day

The last three days have been so lovely. Nothing major happened and I didn't gain anything in material possessions but I felt His pleasure on my life. I have been working in the coffee shop the last month, getting it ready to open in a month. The last three days I have been able to work by myself and just put my worship music on. No one was seeing what I was doing but I didn't care because I knew that I was working unto God. I felt His pleasure. I was thinking what a difference it is in life when I feel like I am right in the middle of God's will and when I have been just outside His will. Sometimes it's been hard to see the difference and I am sure there will be times when it will be hard again but I love how He encourages His kids in Ephesians 5: 10, "And try to learn in your experience what is pleasing to the Lord." I think each person experiences moments of feeling like they are right where they are supposed to be but is it possible to stay there always. I don't know but what I do know is that I am right where I am supposed to be right now. I hope that every person who knows God will experience that more and more as they try and find out what pleases Him.
One of my last three days consists of waking up between 5:30 and 6 am and making some good coffee then sitting in bed and spending some quality time with God. I make my short walk over to Rio Coco Beans Cafe by 8 am and then communicate in Spanish with Levis, our worker, on what to varnish and how long it has to dry. While he is varnishing, I am sanding and scraping the poles in the coffee shop so that we can put a fresh coat of paint on them. Sometimes people will walk by and see our sign on the street so they come up to the shop and ask if we are open. I explain that we aren't fully open yet but I then bring them into our little "bodega" which is a shed and I make them a cup of French Press. Everyone lingers around and raves about having a good cup of coffee because it is hard to come by on the island. After talking a bit with people and exchanging email or Facebook names I carry on with the many tasks to finish at the shop. During my cleaning, Arnie or Susie, otherwise known as Grandpa and Grandma on the island, will come downstairs and start a chat with me. They are from Ireland and live right above the coffee shop. It is such a delight to visit with them and hear their stories. Yesterday Arnie came downstairs and had me write the biggest "46" on his back so he could display to everyone that he and Susie have been married for 46 years. So delightful!
One last thing since this is a long post...usually every evening Jeanne and I go on a joyride around the island with our new dear friend, Edith. She has been a God-send and a delight to have as a new found friend. Usually we end our joyride on Utila's only little bridge where the breeze blows strong and it is sweet and peaceful.
Okay that's it for now. Everyday is a new day and there are more adventures to have, so there are plenty more stories to write...stay tuned!

1 comment: