Monday, August 2, 2010

Island time


Life is so different on an island. I have always heard of the phrase "island-time" but it takes on a new meaning when you actually live on one. I have been on an island now for four days and it truly is different time. The days seem to pass much slower and there is a more laid-back atmosphere here. There were many challenging things that took place in getting here but we are here now. Somehow I thought that maybe once I got here the challenges would dissipate because I would be settling in my new home. That wasn't the case at all. New challenges arrive with each new day. Some challenges are relational and some challenges are provisional. Some challenges are comfort and some challenges are smells. Nevertheless, I am resolving these challenges as God's blessings to me as I more quickly see what is really in my heart. He never takes us through a challenge without being faithful to bring new ones. That may sound like He is just waiting around for us to struggle through one challenge so He can pour on the new one, but that can be quite a negative way of seeing life. I think that God allows the hard challenges to come at us so we can grow in every area of our lives. Each person will have different challenges and it is really important not to compare challenges with other people.
Anyway, we have started to build out the coffee shop here on Utila and many people from all over the world have been by our apartment to have a cup of Rio Coco Beans coffee. Almost every person we have had conversations with in the past few days get a big smile on their face when we mention we have some good coffee to serve them. Rio Coco Beans can be ordered online and shipped to anywhere in the world so if you would like to try some gourmet beans I would recommend ordering some today!
There is much to learn in everyday life. It seems that when I am out of my normal comfortable routine of life, there are countless more things to learn. Many comforts of normal living have been taken away but God has provided everything I need for my physical, emotional, financial and spiritual needs. My understanding of needs vs. wants has been radically altered in the last 5 months and I don't think that process is near over.
Enjoy a picture or two of Utila!
If you are facing challenges today remember that they are opportunities for growth in many areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment