Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A bit more background of this Utila thing

Jeanne and I
About a year ago I got a call from a dear friend, Olivia and she said that she kept thinking of me as her and her husband and friends were dreaming about starting a coffee shop on the island of Utila. A year ago I had just started a new job and didn't sense it was the right timing for me. However, that little phone call made a deposit into my dreams. Less than a year later I was again talking to Olivia on the phone and she said that I needed to meet her friend Jeanne who also lived in Washington. I said okay, knowing that Olivia had a purpose in connecting me to her. Within a few weeks I had called this stranger, Jeanne and we set up a coffee date. From the moment I sat with Jeanne I knew that this was a women who loved the Lord and was serious about serving Him with her whole heart. We became fast friends and soon realized that God was sending us both to Utila. You have to hear about her story of how God called her, so check out her blog at JeanneInUtila
Bagby family
So Jeanne and I packed our belongings and traveled across the United States to Florida to meet up with the rest of the team. We joined daily life in Vero Beach with Mike, Laura, Mikaela, Lucas, Arielle and Moselle Bagby along with Tony and Olivia Assaf. (Check out the Bagby's projects here.) Jeanne and I spent two months living there with all of them and getting prepared to come to Utila. It has truly been beautiful to have such a dynamic and loving group of people come together to answer the call of God. Everyday is full of laughter, food and hard work. I can't imagine being here with any other team!
Tony and Olivia
I must say that I am so grateful for Olivia's obedience to call me and put a bug in my ear in July 2009. Olivia could have thought about it and never picked up the phone. Of course God could have got my attention another way because He is God, but He chose to do it through my sweet friend Olivia. I am grateful for her faith and her obedience to dream big and think outside the box of normal life. It has been a true delight to be here on Utila with Olivia. Even though we have been friend for over 12 years now, I had no idea that we would be living life together again in the way we are. I realize that God puts people together for seasons and if those seasons end it doesn't mean the relationships are over or not as strong. He can bring people back together to accomplish His purposes whenever He wants and if we are willing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment