Monday, August 9, 2010

What am I doing here?


So, some may wonder why I am in Honduras. Well, to make a long story short I am here because God asked me to come and help start a coffee shop here on the island of Utila, Honduras. Coffee is the friendship drink and what better way to make friends from all over the world and show the love of God then to serve a really good cup of Rio Coco Beans. I have been here on the island for nearly two weeks and I have already met people from Switzerland, Israel, Ireland, Oregon, California, England, Holland, El Salvador and New York. Many people come here to get their dive certification, which is the cheapest and one of the most beautiful spots to dive in all the world. The other day I met four British girls backpacking through Central America and one of them was really sick. I helped get her a golfcart ride to the pharmacist so she could get some medicine. I stayed with her and her other friend while they told the pharmacist daughter what was wrong and the daughter translated it to her Spanish speaking mama, the pharmacist. After she got some medicine for her symptoms I walked with them and tried to get them a taxi. They decided to walk instead and pleaded with me that I didn't need to keep helping them. I had done more than enough. I tell you that it wasn't much that I did but to some girls traveling so far from home it touched them. I am not saying that to pat myself on the back or to gloat of my kindness. I am saying it because that is what most days look like here. There are people far from home in need of some kindness and if you pay attention you can't help but show people the love of Jesus by serving them.
I kind of got off track...Anyway, I am here because God told me to come. I sold almost everything I had and came. As I have started to settle here I realize that I have too much stuff. Even though I came with two suitcases I realize again that what I need and what I want are continuing to be redefined. I am amazed at God's timing in this adventure of my life. I know that I am nothing apart from Him and I simply chose to obey His asking me to come. He could easily have asked many other people if I had said "no". I am humbled to be here and very excited to see what God wants to do.
The picture above is of the coffee bar being built. We had a team of 7 people come from HI and Indiana to be a part of what we are starting. We now have two weeks to get the rest built so that we can start serving some French Press coffee. Once we see that it will be successful then we will get an espresso machine and continue on to the next phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment